We have lost over 80% of the large fish in our oceans. Disappearance of these apex species is endangering all our ocean animals. We need to take action now, or our children might never experience the beauty of a dolphin or marine turtle, fisheries will collapse, and thousands of humans will starve. Our oceans are heading toward the tipping point from which they will not be able to recover.
Shark finning is one of the largest problems we face. This inhumane practice must be stopped. Sharks are hauled out of the ocean, and each fin is methodically sawed off the living animals. The sharks are then dumped back into the sea. The animals thrash as they sink to the ocean floor where they will lie, unable to swim, as they slowly die.
It is estimated that 10-100 million sharks are slaughtered each year for their fins. The shark-finning industry is valued at US$1.2 billion. How can we fight this? We can start with just a few clicks.
Chase Bank is giving away a total $5 million to non-profits across the nation. The recipients of this money will be decided based on which organizations have the most votes on Facebook. With your help, the Imaging Foundation will win much-needed funds to support shark protection and other ocean conservation issues.
Here's a step-by-step guide for how to vote:
1. Log in to Facebook and follow this link: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/462810
2. Facebook will then ask you if you want to “Allow” this application on your homepage. Click “Allow.” Keep in mind, you can always remove this access immediately after voting.
3. You will then be prompted to the Imaging Foundation Community Giving page.
4. Click the “Become a Fan of this Page” button
5. Once you are a fan, click “VOTE FOR CHARITY”
At this point, your profile picture will appear on the page, showing your commitment to ocean conservation! Use the tools provided at the bottom of the voting page ("Tweet This," "Post to Wall," and "Invite a Friend") to spread the word!