Friday, December 11, 2009
The Truth Must Surface
Even as millions of sharks are being poached and finned, there is a group entrenched in the multi-billion dollar finning industry who are advocating shark killing and mutilation. A sensationalistic documentary, set to release in 2010, claims that conservationists are embellishing statistics for self-serving purposes. About shark conservation groups, onscreen finning advocates insist,“ Problems, drama, and crisis are their bread and butter.”
Recent reputable studies prove that between 80–90% of the large marine animals in the oceans have disappeared over the last 20 years. Graphic imagery of the merciless act of shark finning depicts fishermen ripping the fins from still-living animals and tossing the writhing creatures overboard. These are but a few of the reasons that ocean conservation community is calling for economically viable fishing alternatives for would-be poachers in third world countries.
We need to stop the wasteful killing. We need to stop the torture of finning. We need to drown out the ill-informed and self-interested voices.
If you feel as strongly about this as our group of volunteers please take a moment to vote in the Chase Giving Facebook contest. Friends, it is now or never, please join us as we turn the tide. There were problems with the site over the last few days and many Care2 people were unable to vote. Now the site is operational. If you are a Facebook user, please take a few minutes to support “Imaging Foundation”—a non-profit that has a strong history of shark protection and education.
Here's how to vote:
1. Log in to Facebook and follow this link: http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/462810
2. Facebook will then ask you if you want to “Allow” this application on your homepage. Click “Allow.” Keep in mind, you can always remove this access immediately after voting.
3. You will then be prompted to the Imaging Foundation Community Giving page.
4. Click the “Become a Fan of this Page” button
5. Once you are a fan, click “VOTE FOR CHARITY”
Use the tools provided at the bottom of the voting page ("Tweet This," "Post to Wall," and "Invite a Friend") to spread the word!